Shamans, intuitives, channellers, mediums, clairvoyants, seers, priestesses, ministers, healers, crystal workers, alchemists, and energy workers. I know them. I started reading books of channelled material when I was thirteen. Went to my first psychic at fifteen. Currently, I have an energy worker on my business payroll. Really.
I’ve heard a lot of stories of how people’s “healing powers” came to be. I’ve left energy healing sessions knowing that a miracle transpired in my lungs. I’ve left “readings” feeling a dark shadow wafting, and used for my own light. I’ve had sessions where I felt like the healer to the healer. Sometimes, ripped off. And other times, I literally bowed to the truly gifted human-spirit who had just poured a waterfall of luminous truth over me. I’ve had many, many divine meetings that have expanded me to my truer size and power — eternally grateful.
12 THINGS I KNOW ABOUT REAL DEAL* HEALERS
*On a very real level, we are healers. Everyone comes to their talents in different ways. If you’re working with a healing-type and it feels right — and you’re getting subtle to pronounced results, go with the feeling and forget about their so-called resume. That said…here’s my experience of the characteristics of Healers with a capital H:
1. Their gift was divinely bestowed. Meaning, it showed up through an extraordinary experience. My friend Kyle Gray started seeing angels when he was four years old. I recently spoke with medical medium Anthony William — he was visited by spirit when he was six and from then on was able to diagnose people’s illnesses. Some healers’ gifts get delivered later in life through awakenings — a dream that guides them to seek out certain knowledge or other healers/teachers; a dream or visitation in which they receive a series of downloads — and these can happen on a hike or the subway, doesn’t matter; or information comes during more intentional vision questing. And, respectfully, there’s nothing like a near death experience to open healing portals for people who are ready.
Can people take a course/study to activate their healing powers? Absolutely, positively. Learned skills can activate dormant, powerful capacities.
2. A lot of real deal healers want to empower you to HEAL YOURSELF. They want to give away their knowledge and tools. Of course, sometimes healing is a drive-through experience. I got into a motorbike accident in Bali. Found myself in a temple with a 100 year old Healer man ramming chopsticks into my feet while I gripped his hand and yelped in pain. I walked out way better than when I limped in. Drive-through healing.
3. Many true healers have truly suffered. Being a healer can come with intense initiations (if they don’t happen in this lifetime, they’ve happened in lives before). Extreme mental anguish. Broken spirits, broken hearts. Existential crises — profound disconnection, alienation and doubt.
4. They have healed themselves. Overcame. Broke through. Integrated.
5. They respect those who came before them. Lineage. Modesty. Reverence.
6. They know that what works for them in terms of healing, might not work for you. One size does not fit all with healing modalities.
7. They know that they are part of a healing ecology. The best energy folks I’ve worked with usually refer me to another type of healer, a specialist, be it a naturopath, or a food intuitive, or a magic medium in a cabin in the woods that I’m not supposed to tell anyone about.
8. They are masters, not Jacks of all Trades. Don’t hold it against your energy worker if they don’t have excellent customer service skills or a slick website. They have priorities in other dimensions.
9. Real deal healers are a beautiful paradox of fully knowing their power but not taking too much credit for it. Righteousness + modesty.
10. Healers attract other healers. They know people.
11. They know what’s a real crisis and what isn’t, and they prioritize accordingly.
12. They are always working on healing— and revealing— themselves. Being visible can be really difficult for healers.
13. Transformation is a healer’s reason for being.
By the waaaaay…some real jerks can have bonafide healing talents. Being divinely bestowed doesn’t ensure that you’ll have a great personality or 100% awesome motives. Hold out for the kind ones if you can…